The working group Fortifications promotes the preservation and recognisability of the fortress and line of defence of ‘s-Hertogenbosch, the associated military-historical infrastructure and the remains of the siege works of the Siege of ‘s-Hertogenbosch in 1629. The working group advises, whether solicited or not, the municipalities in which the fortress and/or the line of defence and/or siege works are located. She advises on projects that (can) affect them. The main focus lies on the municipality of ‘s-Hertogenbosch. The working group gathers knowledge about fortification techniques and publishes on this.
The working group meets 6 to 7 times a year. The tasks are divided among themselves.
• Investigating the history and fortification developments of the fortress, the line of defence of ‘s- Hertogenbosch and the siege works of 1629.
• Critically keeping an eye on the (restoration) plans of the municipality of ‘s-Hertogenbosch and surrounding municipalities.
• Taking part in the sounding group Fortifications of the municipality of ‘s-Hertogenbosch.
• Advising and using public inquiry procedures and, if necessary, objecting to unwanted developments. The working group consults and coordinates with other organizations concerned.
• Providing fortification information and giving lectures on this subject.
• Taking care of and realizing the Fortifications module of the course Boschology III. Additionally contributing to the course Boschology I, to the Rambo course of the municipality and to internal courses and refresher courses of Kring Vrienden van ‘s-Hertogenbosch.
• Drafting and publishing the information bulletin ‘Nieuws voor VestingBoschlogen’ (‘News for Fortress Boschologists’).